Saturday 26 November 2011

FONTS....Robert Brownjohn

What kind of font do I want on my Logo design for the Alight brand? I want it to be clear and easy to read as well as being diverse as I want it to relate to each of the 3 separate events throughout the day. It must have a professional edge to the typography because this is an organised event which is not only representing Sheffield but also the entire county of Yorkshire. I initially started looking at a plain and simplistic font to have a control on the logo, I looking various books at the library including 'Watching words move' by Ivan Chermayeff and Tom Geismar. I came across the work of Robert Brownjohn and instantly thought it was amazing.















Here are afew examples of Robert Brownjohn's work from the 1960's, his simplistic take on typography was unusual for his time so it definitely stood out and made an impact on design. I personally think his work today is still amazing to look at. Its unique and thats probably what I find memorable about it.















The letters of the word physically represent the meaning of the words, for example above the word 'dead'  is showing the last letter to actually be lay down as if it were dead. Clever, simple, and I love it!










































These two above are showing how the exactly same words that we use in everyday life can be dramatically changed by technically doing what the word says. On the word adding, letters have been added. On subtracted, letters are missing, on multiplied the beginning of the word has been written out twice. And finally divided the word has been split in to sections. Its actually crazy how nobody had thought of this before him.

No comments:

Post a Comment